Village Hall & Events

The centre of our village community 

A Parish Room was erected in Dadlington in 1886. Below is an extract written by Dadlington historian Tim Parry about its creation

In 1880 the Reverend Henry Joshua Lomax became vicar of Stoke Golding-cum-Dadlington. At Dadlington he found a dilapidated, almost ruinous church. Moreover, because the 'lay rector' of the parish was the Dean & Chapter of Westiminster, and because of an agreement arrived at in the early 18th centruy, he received just £20 per annum (less income tax) for ministering there. Even then it was a pitiful sum.

Before beginning to restore the church, however, it was decided that there was a need for a Parish Room, both for the Sunday School (which then met in the church) as well as for fund-raising events and social functions. By 1885 the 157 parishoners, mainly tenant farmers and labourers, had scraped together £100, and the once familiar little red-brick building with steeply pitched roof was built on glebe land to the south of the church, adjoining the village green.

In a formal deed dated 1887 the vicar made over the Parish Room, and the land upon which it stood, to the churchwardens representing the parishioners of Dadlington. This building continued to serve for virtually all social events in the village until, in 1983, a start was made on enlarging and remodelling it to becomethe present village hall. Although by this time rather dilapidated, the old Parish Room was structually sound, and had served its purpose for nearly 100 years. If it hadn't already stood there, it is doubtful whether a new village hall could have been built. Perhaps a small debt of gratitude is therefore owed by present Dadlingtonians to the practicality and foresight of Henry Lomax and their forebears of the 1880s.

Tim Parry

The 1983 remodelling of the hall appears in a
newspaper article of the time.
Personal Account by Anne Bull
When we came to live in Dadlington in 1965, the Village Hall was only used occasionally as it was in great need of repairs. I remember the church held Christmas Fairs there and it was also used as a polling station at elections. Stoke Golding Brownies met there for a couple of years, 1972-73.

Queen's Silver Jubilee 1977
We had to carry out the preparation at the various vilage farms around The Green and at the Dog and Hedgehog. It was proposed that we improve the hall for future events. We sent out a questionnaire to every house in the village to gauge the support for this. Two thirds of the village were in favour of some kind of renovation with the majority prefering to retain the old structure and to extend it to at least double its current size. Most respondents were against any form of rate increase and therefore grants were applied for and fundraising organised as we had to raise a third of the cost of the renovations to obtain a grant.

It was intended to hold a fancy dress competition , sports day and picnic to celeberate Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee, as communities around the country held street parties. Due to the weather, the sports mainly took place on the road and in Mr Furniss' empty turkey pen. The later was also the venue for the picnic and evening dance.
 
May Fayres 1981 onwards
The first May Fayre was held in 1981. This was successful and we decided to make it an annual event, incorporating more stalls and entertainments and to have a May Queen.

In 1982, we had 20 stalls and games, plus a prize draw and refreshments, giving us a profit of £200, which was a real encourgement. Following this success, we organised dance, jumble sales, a fashion show and a village supper.

In 1983 the Fayre was opened by the Deputy Mayor and Mayoress of Hinckley & Bosworth, Councillor and Mrs Derek Evans, formally of Dadlington; our May Queen was Elizabeth Reed who was chosen at a disco in Stoke Golding. Again we had a large number of stalls and games, pony rides, a marching band and a 'Buy a Brick' opportunity. We made £400 this time. There was also a fund-raising Valentine Dance at Stoke Club and a Summer Sports Gala.

By 1984, alterations were well advance. We had a village supper at the Dog & Hedgehog, another Valentine Dance, and a disco where May Queen Michelle Bradley was chosen. It was decided to incorporate the opening of the restored hall with the May Fayre. For the first time we were able to use our own ahll for a fund-raising event. 

A sports day was planned for 1985, instead of the May Fayre, but this was cancelled and no further fayres took place.
















 
Quincentenary of the Battle of Bosworth 1985
The 500th anniversary of the battle was celebrated at the Bosworth Battlefield Centre. Two groups of soldiers from  re-enactment and history societies followed the routes Henry Tudor and Richard III took prior to the battle and on the morning of the anniversary, Rev Teddy Boston took a service at the battlefield. There then followed a re-enactment of the battle for the crowds that turned up to the event. One group of 'medieval' participants was meant to spend the night before the anniversary camped out at the Battlefield Centre. However, the weather was so bad that Dadlington Village Hall was offered as a dry alternative. To say 'thank you' they put on a display on The Green and the women prepared a medieval meal to which villagers were invited.










The Reinterment of Richard III - 2015
The discovery of Richard III's body in a Leicester car park brought the attention of the world's media to this corner of Leicestershire. As Dadlington is the only place where evidence shows that some of the dead from the battle were buried  there, and as the main area of fighting is considered to have taken place within the old Dadlington parish boundaries, the village was chosen as a the first stopping place for Richard's body on its journey to re-internment at Leicester Cathedral. On the day, thousands descended on the village which had been closed for traffic since the early hours. Led by two medieval knights on horseback, the cortege entered the village along Shenton Lane and moved around The Green, stopping outside Ambion Court where a short religious ceremony was conducted. It then moved on the Sutton Cheyney. Before and after the visit, there was a range of activities including songs from Ambion Voices and Morris Dancing.

Further Improvements 2015-17
With the hall being used more often, the management committee decided upon a series of improvements to the hall. A kitchen area with serving hatch was created, along with a disabled access and toilet. The loss of main floor space was compencated by expanding the building towards the green and levelling off the area outside of the hall.

The picture shows building work in action.
Click here to read this article
site search by freefind advanced