Trade Directories

Dadlington entries in various Gazetteers
& Trade Directories

HISTORY, GAZETTEER & DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1846.
 
DADLINGTON, a village, township and chapelry, in Hinckley parish is on an eminence on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, three and a half miles N.N.W. of Hinckley. It has 180 inhabitants and 1021A.3R. 23P. Of land, belonging to the Hurst, Geary, Morris, Freeman, Moore and other families. The soil is gravely and the surface diversified.
 
Before the Conquest, Leofric, Earl of Mercia, gave the manor to Coventry Priory, and it afterwards passed to the Hastings and other families. In 1772 it was purchased by Wm. Hurst.
 
The Church, St. James, is a small structure of great antiquity, with a wooden turret containing two bells. There are a few fragments of stained glass in its windows.
 
The vicarage is consolidated with that of Hinckley and the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, as appropriators and patrons, allow the incumbent £20 per annum. In the village is a small independent chapel.
 
DIRECTORY.
 
Freeman Henry, maltster, and vict. The Dog and Hedgehog.
Lawrence George Suffolk, hosiery manufacturer, (and Stoke Golding)
Wigley Martha, shopkeeper.
 
Farmers (* are owners)
 
*Freeman Hy.
*Geary John.
*Morris Edward.
Hackett Thomas.
*Moore Henry.
Vernon Thomas.
 
POST OFFICE LEICESTERSHIRE DIRECTORY1848
Dadlington is a small village, township and chapelry, in Hinckley parish, Sparkenhoe Hundred, Market Bosworth Union, on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 4 miles south of Market Bosworth, 3 miles north west from Hinckley, and 4 miles north from Nuneaton station, containing 986 acres of land, and a population of 180.The church dedicated to St. James, is a small old building with a wooden turret, containing 2 bells. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Hinckley. Here is a small independent chapel. Mrs Grundy of The Oaks near Leicester, is the lady of the manor.
TRADERS
Freeman Henry, 'Dog and Hedgehog' & maltster
Freeman Henry, farmer
Geary John, farmer
Grinn John, shoemaker
Hackett Thomas, farmer
Hodges Joseph, farmer
Lea Mrs Mary, farmer
Moore Henry, farmer
Morris Edward, farmer
Shilton William, farmer
Shilton William, jun, farmer
Vernon Thomas, farmer
Wigley Mrs Martha, shop Keeper
Letters are received through the Hinckley office
    
HAGAR & CO'S COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTY OF LEICESTER 1849
Dadlington is a village, township, and chapelry in the parish of Hinckley, from which it is 3 miles n.w., miles s. from Market Bosworth, and 4 miles n. from Nuneaton station; containing 180 inhabitants, and 986 acres of land. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Hinckley. The church dedicated to St. James, is a small old building, with a wooden turret, containing two bells. The independents have a chapel here, but it is now disused. Mrs Grundy of the Oaks near Leicester is the lady of the manor.
TRADERS
Bagaley John, farmer and grazier
Fairfield William, cottager
Freeman George, shopkeeper
Freeman Henry, farmer and grazier
Geary John, farmer and grazier
Grimes John, cottager and shoemaker
Hackett Thomas, farmer and grazier
Harrison  John, parish clerk
Hodges Joseph, farmer and grazier
Lea Mary, farmer and grazier
Moore Henry, farmer
Morris Edward, farmer and grazier, Manor house
Prinsep William, cottager
Shilton William, farmer and grazier
Vernon Thomas, farmer and grazier
Wigley Martha, shopkeeper and cottager
Letters received through Hinckley office
St. James church.
Bourne Rev. Thomas, M.A., curate. Service 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.
 
MELVILLE & CO'S DIRECTORY AND GAZETTEER
LEICESTERSHIRE 1854
Dadlington is a village and chapelry in the parish of Hinckley, and union of the same, it is situate about   miles N.W. from Hinckley and 4 miles south from Market Bosworth. The Church is a small ancient edifice, with a turret containing two bells, - the living is annexed to the vicarage of Hinckley, from whence the minister is supplied.
TRADES, PROFESSIONS, &c.
Freeman Henry, farmer, Dog and Hedgehog
Geary John, farmer
Hackett Thomas, farmer
Lawrence George Henry, hosiery manufacturer
Moore Hû
enry, farmer
Morris Edward, farmer
Vernon Thomas, farmer
Wigley Martha, shopkeeper
POST OFFICE.
Letters through Hinckley

POST OFFICE LEICESTERSHIRE DIRECTORY 1855
Dadlington is a small village, township and chapelry, in Hinckley parish, Sparkenhoe Hundred, Market Bosworth Union on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 4 miles south of Market Bosworth, 3 north-west from Hinckley, and 4 north from Nuneaton station, containing 986 acres of land and a Population of 212. The church of St. James is a small old building with a wooden turret, containing 2 bells. Here is a small independent chapel. Mrs Grundy, of the Oaks, near Leicester, is lady of the manor.
TRADERS
Freeman George, 'Dog and Hedgehog', & maltster
Freeman Henry, farmer
Hackett Thomas, farmer
Hurst Henry Russell, farmer
Moore Henry, farmer
Rubley John, farmer
Shilton William, farmer
Varnham Thomas, farmer
Vernon Thomas, farmer
Letters through Hinckley, which is also the nearest money order office
 
    
HISTORY GAZETTEER AND DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTIES OF LEICESTER AND RUTLAND
BY WILLIAM WHITE 1863
Dadlington, s village township, and chapelry in Hinckley Parish but in Market Bosworth Union, is on -An eminence on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 3Æ miles N.N.W. of Hinckley. It has 216 inhabitants, and 1021a. 3r. 23p. of land belonging to the Hurst, Geary, Freeman, Moore, Vernon, and other families. The soil is gravelly and the surface diversified. Before the Conquest, Leofric, Earl of Mercia, gave the manor to Coventry Priory, and it afterwards passed to the Hastings and other families. In 1772 it was purchased by William Hurst and now belongs to Hy. Russell Hurst. The Church, (St. James) is a small structure of great antiquity, with a wooden turret containing two bells. There are a few
fragments of stained glass in its windows, and in the chancel are two stone stalls and a piscina. Many of the slain at Bosworth field were buried in this church-yard. The vicarage is consolidated with that of Hinckley; and the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, as appropriators and patrons, allow the Incumbent £20 per annum. In the village is a small Independent chapel.
 
TRADERS
Post Office at Kendall's.
Letters despatched to Hinckley at 5 pm.
Fairfield, William. shopkeeper
Freeman, George. Carpenter.
Geary, Mr John, Dadlington Cottage.
Kendall, John. vict. Dog and Hedgehog.
Lewis, William. maltster; h. Higham.
FARMERS AND GRAZIERS
Freeman, Henry.
Geary, John Abel.
Hacket, Thomas.
Hurst, Henry R.
Moore, Henry.
Rubley,John B.
Shilton, John.
Spencer, James.
Vernon, Thomas.
CARRIERS
To Hinckley, Mondays
Grimes, Ann.
Rose, Benjamin.
    
G. HARROD & CO'S POSTAL AND COMMERCIAL DIRECTORY
LEICESTERSHIRE AND RUTLAND 1870
Dadlington is a parish and village distant 3 miles from Hinckley, in the south division of the county, Hundred of Sparkenhoe, union and county court district of Market Bosworth, diocese of Peterborough, archdeaconry of Leicester. The church dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure. The living is a vicarage, annual value £240, in the gift of Arthur Malin, Esq.(sic) (Leicester). The Rev. Thomas Bourne (of Stoke Golding) is the incumbent. The Independents have a chapel. The parish contains 996 acres of land of which the chief owners are H.R. Hurst (lord of the manor), J.A. Geary, Esqs. and
others. The population is about 150. Letters arrive at 9 a.m., and are dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money-order and telegraph office and post-town, Hinckley. Geary Mrs, the Cottage Shilton Miss, Zoar cottage
GENERAL TRADES, &c.
Bromley John B., boot and shoemaker
Fairfield William, baker and shopkeeper
Grimes John, shopkeeper and boot and shoemaker
Hollyoak William, Dog and Hedgehog, and tailor
Keightley Miss, dressmaker
FARMERS
Cooper John, and landowner
Freeman Henry, and landowner
Geary Abel John,and landowner
Hackett Thomas
Jeffcoate Charles
Kendall John, coal merchant
Morris Edward
Ratcliffe james
Rubley John Beeby, and landowner
Shilton John
Vernon Thomas, and landowner

S. BARKER CO'S GENERALTOPOGRAPHICAL HISTORICAL 
DIRECTORY LEICESTER, RUTLAND, ETC. 1875

Dadlington is a small village and township in the parish of Hinckley, four miles from Nuneaton and three from Hinckley; population 230; inhabited houses, 48.The Church dedicated to St. James, is an ancient fabric. The living is a curacy annexed with Stoke Golding, value £350 per nnum. Patrons the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The Rev. Thomas Bourne, M.A. is the incumbent and Vicar of Stoke Golding.
Letters via Hinckley which is the nearest Money order Office.
TRADERS
Fairfield William, shopkeeper
Freeman George, carpenter
Freeman Henry, farmer
Geary Abel John, farmer
Grimes John, shopkeeper
Hackett Thomas, farmer
Hollyoak William, Dog & Hedgehog
Jeffcoate Charles, farmer
Kendall John, farmer
Ratcliffe James, farmer
Rubley John Beeby, farmer
Shilton John, farmer
Shilton Miss, Zoar cottage
Vernon Thomas, farmer
    
POST OFFICE DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1876
 
DADLINGTON, is a small village, township and parish, in the southern division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Market Bosworth union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, archdeaconry of Leicester, and Diocese of Peterborough, on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3 north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton.
 
The church of St. James is a small old building, with a wooden turret containing two bells. The register dates from the year 1600. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint yearly value £356, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Westminster, and held by the Rev. Thomas Bourne, M.A. of St. Edmund Hall, Oxford. Here is a small independent chapel.
 
The principal landowners are C. F. Hurst esq., who is lord of the manor, Mr John Geary, Mr G. Cooper, Mr T. Vernon, and Mr H. Freeman. The soil is monstly heavy, sub-soil gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The acreage is 870; rateable value , £1,728; the population in 1871 was about 200.
 
Parish clerk, Charles Owen.
 
COMMERCIAL.
Cooper George, farmer and landowner.
(residence at Market Bosworth)
Fairfield William, shopkeeper.
Freeman George, carpenter.
Freeman Henry, farmer and landowner.
Geary John, farmer and landowner.
Grimes John, shoemaker.
Hollyoak William, Dog snf \hedgehog.
Jeffcoat Charles, farmer.
Morris Mary (Mrs), farmer.
Owen Charles, coal dealer.
Ratcliff James, farmer and grazier, Manor Farm,.
Rubley John, farmer.
Shilton John, farmer.
Shilton John, farmer.
Vernon Thomas, farmer and landowner.
  

MERCER & CROCKERS LEICESTERSHIRE DIRECTORY 1877
Dadlington is a small village and township in the parish of Hinckley, 4 miles from Nuneaton and three from Hinckley; population 230, inhabited houses, 48.The church dedicated to St. James, is an ancient fabric. The living is a curacy annexed with Stoke Golding, value £350 per annum. Patrons the Dean and Chapter of Westminster. The Rev. Thomas Bourne, M.A. is the incumbent and Vicar of Stoke Golding.
Letters via Hinckley which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Fairfield William, shopkeeper
Freeman George, carpenter
Freeman Henry, farmer
Geary Abel John, farmer
Grimes John, shopkeeper
Hackett Thomas, farmer
Hollyoak William, Dog & Hedgehog
Jeffcoate Charles, farmer
Kendall John, farmer
Ratcliffe James, farmer
Rubley John
Beeby, farmer
Shilton John, farmer
Shilton Miss, Zoar cottage
Vernon Thomas, farmer

WHITE'S LEICESTERSHIRE AND RUTLAND 1877
Dadlington, a village, township, and chapelry in Hinckley parish, but in Market Bosworth Union, and County Court District, and Sparkenhoe Hundred, is on an emminence on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch Canal, 3 miles N.N.W. of Hinckley. Its township, in 1871 contained 230 persons, living in 48 houses, on 870 acres of land, belonging to the Hurst, Geary, Freeman, Moore, Vernon and other families. The soil is gravelly and the surface diversified. Before the Conquest. Leofric, Earl of Mercia, gave the manor to Coventry Priory, and it afterwards passed to the Hastings and other families. In 1772
it was purchased by William Hurst, and now belongs to Henry Russell Hurst, Esq. THE CHURCH (St. James) is a small and ancient structure, in a dilapidated condition, with a wooden turret containing two
bells. There are a few fragments of stained glass in its windows, and in the chancel are two stone stalls and a piscina. Many of the slain at Bosworth Field were buried in this churchyard. The living is a vicarage, consolidated with that of Stoke Golding. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster, as appropriators and patrons, allow the vicar of Stoke £20 per annum for taking one service on the Sunday. In the village is a small INDEPENDENT CHAPEL.
Post via Hinckley, which is the nearest Money Order Office.
Fairfield William, baker and flour dlr.
Freeman George, carpenter
Freeman Henry, farmer
Geary Mrs Elizabeth
Geary Abell John, farmer
Grimes John, shopkeeper & shoemkr.
Hollyoak Wm. vict. Dog & Hedgehog
Jeffcoat Charles, farmer and maltster
Morris Mrs. Mary, farmer
Ratcliff James, farmer and grazier
Rubley John, farmer
Shilton Miss Elizabeth
Shilton John, farmer
Vernon Thomas, farmer and grazier
    
HISTORY, GAZETTEER & DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1877
DADLINGTON, a village, township, and chapelry, in Hinckley parish, but in Market Bosworth Union, County Court District and Sparkenhoe Hundred, is on an eminence, on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 3 ½ miles N.N.W. of Hinckley. Its township in 1871 contained 230 persons, in 48 houses, on 870 acres of land, belonging to the Hurst, Geary, Freeman, Moore, Vernon and other families. The soil is gravely and the surface diversified.
 
Before the Conquest, Leofric, Earl of Mercia, gave the manor to Coventry Priory, and it afterwards passed to the Hastings and other families. In 1772 it was purchased by William Hurst, and now belongs to Henry Russell Hurst esq.
 
The Church (St. James) is a small and ancient structure in a dilapidated condition, with a wooden turret containing two bells. There are a few fragments of stained glass in its windows, and in the chancel are two stone stalls and a piscina. Many of the slain at Bosworth Field were buried in the churchyard. The living is a vicarage consolidated with that of Stoke Golding. The Dean and Chapter of Westminster, as appropriators and patrons allow the vicar of Stoke £20 per annum for taking one service on the Sunday. In the village is a small independent chapel.
 
Post via Hinckley which is the nearest Money order office.
 
DIRECTORY.
 
Fairfield William, baker and flour dlr.
Freeman George, carpenter.
Freeman Henry, farmer.
Geary John, farmer.
Grimes John, shopkeeper & shoemaker.
Hollyoak Wm. Vict. Dog & Hedgehog.
Jeffcoat Charles, farmer & maltster.
Owen Charles, coal dealer.
Ratcliff James, farmer.
Rubley John, farmer.
Shilon Miss Elizabeth.
Shilton John, farmer.
Vernon Thomas, farmer.
  
WRIGHT’S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1880
DADLINGTON, is a small village, township and parish, in the southern division of the county, hundred and rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, Market Bosworth Union and County Court District, on the east side of the Ashby canal, 4 miles from Market Bosworth, 3 N.W. from Hinckley, 5 from Nuneaton, and 12 S.W. by W. from Leicester.
 
St Giles (sic) church is an antique and rather dilapidated building consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, wooden porch, and turret in which are two bells. The north wall has been recently renovated, but the rest of the building is in sore need of repair and restoration. The living is annexed to Stoke Golding, and is of the yearly value of £356, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterboro’. It is held by the Rev. Thomas Bourne M.A. of Stoke Golding.
 
Many of those who were killed at the Battle of Bosworth Field, which is in the vicinity were buried in the churchyard, and relics of the battle are being constantly dug up. There is a small independent chapel.
 
Mr C. F. Hurst, is Lord of the Manor, aand he with Mrs Bourne, Messrs. G. Moore, J. Geary, G. Cooper, and T. Vernon are the principal landowners. Area 997a. 0r. 3p., rateable value £1,814 5s. 8d., population about 200.
 
ST. JAMES’ CHURCH.
Service at 3 every Sunday. Sacrament four times a year. Rev. T. Bourne M.A.; Churchwarden Mr J. A. Geary,.
Harmonium Miss Perry; Parish Clerk Chas. Owen. Hymns A. & M.
 
INDEPENDENT CHAPEL.
Service at 6 on Sunday Evening. Chapel keeper, Thomas Hextall.
 
Letters from Hinckley delivered about 9 a.m., box cleared at 5 p.m. on week-days only. The nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office is in Hinckley.
 
DIRECTORY.
Berry Mr William Neale.
Fairfield Mrs Mary, shopkeeper.
Freeman George, carpenter.
Grimes John, bootmaker.
Holyoak Wm. v., Dog and Hedgehog.
Owen Chas. coal dealer and parish clerk.
 
FARMERS 7 GRAZIERS.
* are landowners.
Berry William Neale, jnr., grazier.
*Cooper George h. Market Bosworth.
Evans Valentine.
*Freeman Henry.
Geary John Abell, The Poplars.
Ratcliffe James, Manor House.
Rubley Mrs Mary.
Shilton John.
*Vernon Thomas Ishi.
 
KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE 1881
Dadlington is a small village, township and parish in the Southern division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Market Bosworth Union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe second portion, archdeaconry of Leicester and diocese of Peterborough, on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3 north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton. The church of St. James is a small old building; it consists of nave, with a wooden turret containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the old is left: parts of it seem to be in the Early English style and earlier Decorated. The register dates from 1734. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint yearly value £356, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough and held by the Rev. Henry Joshua Lomax M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The principal landowners are C.F. Hurst esq., who is lord of the manor, Mr. John A. Geary, Mr. G. Cooper, Mr.T. Vernon, and Mr H. Freeman. The soil is mostly heavy; subsoil gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The acreage is 870; rateable value, £2,174; the population in 1881 was about 170.
 
Parish Clerk, Charles Owen.
Berry William Neal, jun. farmer
Evans Valentine, farmer
Fairfield William, shopkeeper
Freeman George, carpenter
Freeman Henry, farmer & landowner
Geary John Arthur, farmer & landowner
Grimes John, shoemaker
Hollyoak William, Dog & Hedgehog
Owen Charles, coal dealer
Ratcliff James, farmer & grazier, Manor house
Rubley John (Mrs), farmer
Shilton John, farmer
Vernon Thomas, farmer and landowner
 
WRIGHT'S COMMERCIAL AND GENERAL DIRECTORY
LEICESTER AND 15 MILES ROUND 1884
Dadlington is a small village, township and parish, in the southern division of the county, hundred and rural deanery of  Sparkenhoe No. 2, Market Bosworth Union and County Court district, on the east side of the Ashby canal, 4 miles S. from Market Bosworth, 3 N.W. from Hinckley, 5 N. from Nuneaton and 12 S.W. by W. from Leicester.St. Giles church (sic) is a curious relic of antiquity, consisting of  chancel, nave, south aisle, wooden porch, and turret in which  are 2 bells. The north wall and some other portions have been recently renovated, but the rest of the building needs further repairs. The registers date from 1734. The living is annexed to Stoke Golding, and is of the yearly value of £360, in the gift of  the Bishop of Peterborough. It is held by the Rev. H.J. Lomax,  M.A. of Stoke Golding. Many of those killed at the famous battle of Bosworth Field,  which is in the vicinity, were buried in this churchyard, and relics of the fight are occasionally dug up. There is a small Independent Chapel. Mr C.F. Hurst is lord of the manor, and he with Messrs. J.W.H.,  and Joshua Freeman, J. Geary, G. Cooper, and T. Vernon are the principal landowners. Area 998a. 1r.10p.; rateable value £1818. 4s.  0d.; population 170. ST. GILES CHURCH. (sic) Service at 3 every Sunday. Communion six time a year. Rev H.J. Lomax M.A.  Warden, Mr J. Ratcliff; Harmonium, Miss F. Geary; Clerk, Charles Owen. Hymns A. &. M. INDEPENDENT CHAPEL Service at 6 on Sunday evening. Chapel keeper Thomas
Hextall.
 
Letters from Hinckley delivered about 9 a.m.; box cleared at 5
p.m. on weekdays only. The nearest Money Order Office is at
Higham, and Telegraph Office at Hinckley.
Dawkins Jas. oil dealer and bee keeper
Fairfield Mrs. Mary
Freeman George, carpenter
Grimes John, bootmaker
Hurst Wm. (hosiery mfr. at Hinckley)
Keightley Miss Sarah, dressmaker
Owen Chas., coal dealer and parish clerk
Robinson Wm., v. Dog & Hedgehog
Vernon Mr. Thomas
FARMERS AND GRAZIERS
Marked * are landowners
Busby George
Chappell (Thos.) & Wright (Fredk. Wm.) cattle
dealers & at Hinckley
*Cooper George, h. Leicester
*Freeman John Walter Henry, Orchard farm
* Geary John Abell, the Poplars
Ratcliff James, Manor house
Rubley Mrs Mary
Scrivenor Edw.
Shilton Mrs. Martha
CARRIERS
Tomlinson John (through from Sutton Cheney), to Hinckley
M, and Leicester S.
Wardle, (through from Nailstone) to Hinckley M.
    
WRIGHT’S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1887-88
DADLINGTON, is a small village, township and parish in the Bosworth division of the county, hundred and rural deanery of Sparkenhoe No. 2, Market Bosworth union and County Court District, on the east side of the Ashby canal, 4 miles S. from Market Bosworth, 3 N.W. from Hinckley, 5 N. from Nuneaton, 12 S.W. by W. from Leicester. St. Giles (sic) church is a curious relic of antiquity, consisting of chancel, nave , south aisle, wooden porch and turret in which are two bells. The north wall and some other portions have recently been renovated, but the rest of the building needs further repairs. The registers date from 1734. The living is annexed to Stoke Golding and is of the yearly value of £360, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. It is held by the Rev. H. J. Lomax M.A. of Stoke Golding.
 
Many of those killed in the famous Battle of Bosworth Field, which is in the vicinity, were buried in this churchyard and relics of the fight are occasionally dug up.
 
There is a small independent chapel.
 
Mr C. F. Hurst is lord of the manor , and he, with Messrs., J. W. H. and Joshua Freeman, , J. A. Geary, G. Cooper, J. K. Bourne and T. Vernon, are the principal landowners. Area 998a. 1r. 10p., rateable value £1,763. 3s.; population 170.
 
ST. GILES (sic) CHURCH.
Service at 3 every Sunday, Communion, second Sunday in the month. Rev. H. J. Lomax M.A., Warden Mr J. Ratcliff, Harmonium Miss F. Geary, Clerk Frederick Vallance, Hymns A., and M.
DIRECTORY.
Letters from Hinckley delivered about 9 a.m., box cleared at 5 p.m. on week-days only. The nearest Money order Office is at Higham and Telegraph Office at Hinckley.
Aucot Thomas.
Bird Mrs Sarah, dressmaker.
Beeby George, shopkeeper and tobacconist.
Dawkins Jas., oil dealer and bee keeper.
Freeman George, carpenter.
Grimes John.
Keightley Thomas, coal dealer.
Martin George, v. Dog and Hedgehog.
Vernon Mr Thomas Ishi.
 
FARMERS AND GRAZIERS. Marked * are landowners.
Bailey William.
Beeby George.
Berry Saml. Abel, and asstnt overseer.
*Copper George.
Cooper James.
*Freeman Jno. Wltr. Hry. Orchard farm.
*Geary John Abell, The Poplars.
Ratcliff James, Manor house.
Scrivenor Edward.
Wright Frederick Wm., and cattle dealer.
 
CARRIERS.
Tomlinson John (thro’ from Sutton Cheney) to Hinckley M. and Leicester S.
Wardle (through from Nailstone) to Hinckley M.
    
WRIGHT’S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTER AND 12MILES ROUND 
1889-90
DADLINGTON is a small village, township, and parish, in the Bosworth division of the county, hundred and rural deanery of Sparkenhoe No. 2, Market Bosworth union and County Court district and division of Bosworth for the County Council, on the east side of the Ashby canal, 4 miles S. from Market Bosworth, 3 N.W. from Hinckley, 5 N. from Nuneaton and 12 S.W. by W., from Leicester. St. James’ church is a curious relic of antiquity, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, wooden porch and turret with two bells. The north wall and some other portions have been renovated , and during the year 1887, the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, but the rest of the building needs further repairs. The registers date from 1734. The living is annexed to Stoke Golding, and is of the yearly value of £360, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. It is held by the Rev. H. J. Lomas M.A. of Stoke Golding.
 
Many of those killed at the famous Battle of Bosworth Field, which is in the vicinity, are buried in this churchyard and relics of the fight are occasionally dug up.
 
There is a small Independent Chapel services at which are discontinued.
 
Mr C. F. Hurst is lord of the manor and he, with Messrs., J. W. H. and Joshua Freeman, J. A. Geary, G. Cooper, J. K. Bourne, and T. Vernon are the principal landowners. Area
19.
998a. 1r. 10p. Rateable value £1,634. 4s.; population 170.
 
ST. JAMES’ CHURCH.
Service at 3 every Sunday. Communion second Sunday in month. Rev. H. J. Lomax M.A., Warden Mr J. Ratcliff; Harmonium Miss Geary, and the Misses Ratcliff; Clerk Thomas Hextall. Hymns A. and M.
 
LETTERS.
Letters from Hinckley delivered about 9 a.m. ; box cleared at 5 p..m. week-days only. The nearest Money order Office is at Stoke Golding, and Telegraph Office at Stoke Golding Station.
 
DIRECTORY.
Aucot Thomas.
Bird Mrs Sarah, dressmaker.
Beeby George, shopkeeper and tobacconist.
Dawkins Jas, oil dealer & bee keeper.
Freeman George, carpenter.
Grimes John.
Keightley Thomas, coal dealer.
Martin Mrs Sarah, v. Dog and Hedgehog.
Shirley Thomas, sweet shop.
Vernon Mr Thomas Ishi.
KELLY'S DIRECTORY LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1891
Dadlington is a small village, township and parish on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and 1 mile north-east from Stoke Golding station on the Midland and London and North Western railway, in the Western division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Market Bosworth union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, second portion, archdeaconry of Leicester, and diocese of Peterborough.The church of St. James is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells.: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window.: the chancel was restored in 1886 and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored by public subscription: there are 100 sittings, of which about 40 are free. The register dates from 1734. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Stoke Golding, average tithe rent Charge £307, joint net yearly value £246, with half an acre of glebe in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since1880 by the Rev. Henry Joshue Lomax M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who resides at Stoke Golding. Here is a small Congregational chapel A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £100. The principal landowners are C.F. Hurst esq. who is lord of the manor, Mr John A. Geary, the trustees of the late G. Cooper, Mr T. Vernon, Mr J.W.H. Freeman, and Mrs Bourne.The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The acreage is 1021; rateable value £1623; the population in 1881 was 170.  Deputy parish clerk, Thomas Hextall. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 5 p.m. Letters through  Hinckley arrive about 8.30 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Stoke Golding & telegraph office Stoke Golding railway station. The children at this place attend school at Stoke Golding.
Berry Mrs. The Cottage
Geary John Abell
Vernon Thomas
Berry Samuel Abell, farmer
Busby George, farmer
Freeman John Walter Henry, farmer & landowner, Orchard fm.
Martin Sarah (Mrs), Dog & Hedgehog P.H.
Ratcliff Jas. farmer & grazier, Manor ho.
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall
Upton Job, farmer

WRIGHT'S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE 1892
Dadlington is a small village, township and parish, in the  Bosworth division of the county, hundred and rural deanery of Sparkenhoe No. 2, Market Bosworth Union and County Court district, and division of Bosworth for the County Council, on the east side of the Ashby canal, 4 miles S. from Market Bosworth, 3 N.W. from Hinckley, 5 N. from Nuneaton and 12 S.W. by W. from Leicester. St. James' church is a curious relic of antiquity, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, wooden porch, and turret in which are two bells. The north wall and some other portions have been  renovated, and during the year 1887, the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The registers date from 1734. The living is annexed to Stoke Golding, and is of the yearly value of £360, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. It is held by the Rev. H.J. Lomax, M.A. of Stoke Golding.  Many of those killed at the famous battle of Bosworth Field, which is in the vicinity, were buried in this churchyard, and relics of the fight are occasionally dug up. There is a small Independent Chapel, services of which are discontinued. Mr C.F. Hurst is lord of the manor, and he, with Messrs. J.A. Geary, and T. Vernon are the principal landowners. Area 997a. 3r.15p.; rateable value £1623.  9s.  0d.; population 163. ST. JAMES' CHURCH Service at 3 every Sunday. Communion second Sunday in month. Rev H.J. Lomax (Stoke) M.A.  Warden, Mr J. Ratcliff; Harmonium, Misses Ratcliffe; Clerk, Thomas Hextall. Hymns A. &. M. Letters from Hinckley delivered about 9 a.m.; box cleared at 5 p.m. on weekdays only. The nearest Money Order Office is at  Stoke Golding and Telegraph Office at Stoke Golding station.
Berry Mrs. Eliza
Bird Mrs. Sarah, dressmaker
Busby George, shopkeeper and tobacconist
Dawkins Jas. oil dealer and bee keeper
Freeman George, carpenter
Keightley Thomas, coal merchant
Martin Mrs. Srh., v. Dog & Hedgehog
Vernon Mr. Thomas Ishai
FARMERS AND GRAZIERS
Marked * are landowners
Busby George
Berry Samuel Abel, and overseer
*Freeman Jno. Wltr Hy, Orchard farm
* Geary John Abell, the Poplars
Ratcliff James, Manor house
Scrivenor Edw. The Hall
Tomlinson John
Upton Arthur
Willoughby George
CARRIERS
Busby, from Stoke to Leicester S.
Tomlinson John,  to Hinckley M.
Wardle, (through Osbaston) to Hinckley M.

WRIGHT'S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE AND RUTLAND 
1893 - 94
Dadlington is a small village, township and parish, in the  Bosworth division of the county, hundred and Rural deanery of Sparkenhoe No. 2, Market Bosworth Union and County Court District, and division of Bosworth for the County Council, on the east side of the Ashby canal, 4 miles S. from Market Bosworth, 3 N.W. from Hinckley, 5 N. from Nuneaton and 12 S.W. by W. from Leicester.St. James' church is a curious relic of antiquity, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, wooden porch, and turret in which are two bells. The north wall and some other portions have been  renovated, and during the year 1887, the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The registers date from 1734. The living is annexed to Stoke Golding, and is of the yearly value of ×200, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough. It is held by the Rev. H.J. Lomax, M.A. of Stoke Golding. Many of those killed at the famous battle of Bosworth Field, which is in the vicinity, were buried in this churchyard, and relics of the fight are occasionally dug up. There is a small Independent Chapel, services of which are discontinued. Mr C.F. Hurst is lord of the manor, and he with Messrs. J.A. Geary, and T. Vernon are the principal landowners. Area 997a. 3r.15p.; rateable value £1623.  9s.  0d.; population 163.
ST. JAMES' CHURCH
Service at 3 every Sunday. Communion second Sunday in month. Rev Hugh Bryan, M.A. (Stoke Golding)  Warden, Mr J. Ratcliff; Harmonium, Misses Ratcliffe; Clerk, Thomas Hextall. Hymns A. &. M. Letters from Hinckley delivered about 9 a.m.; box cleared at 5 p.m. on weekdays only. The nearest Money Order Office is at  Stoke Golding and Telegraph Office at Stoke Golding station.
Berry Mrs. Eliza, cottager
Bird Mrs. Sarah, dressmaker
Busby George, shopkeeper and tobacconist
Dawkins Jas. oil dealer and bee keeper
Foster Thomas, Dog and Hedgehog
Freeman George, carpenter
Keightley Thomas, coal merchant
FARMERS AND GRAZIERS
Marked * are landowners
Busby George
Berry Samuel Abel, and overseer
*Freeman Jno. Wltr. Hy.,
Orchard farm
* Geary John Abell, the Poplars
Peberdy William, The Glebe farm
Ratcliffe James, Manor house
Scrivenor Edw. The Hall
Tomlinson John
Upton Arthur
Willoughby George
CARRIERS
Tomlinson John,  to Hinckley M.
Wardle, (through Osbaston) to Hinckley M.

KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1895
Dadlington is a small village, township and parish on the east side of the Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, 1 mile north-east from Stoke Golding station on the Midland and London and North Western railway,  4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Western division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Market Bosworth union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Leicester, and diocese of Peterborough.The church of St. James is a small but ancient building of stone
in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells.: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window.: the chancel was restored in 1886-87, at a cost of ×500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored by public subscription: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Stoke Golding,  tithe rent charge commuted at £380, average £280, joint net yearly value £243, with half an acre of glebe in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since1892 by the Rev. Hugh Bryan, LL.B. ML, of Clare College, Cambridge, who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £100. The principal landowners are C.F. Hurst esq. who is lord of the manor, Mr John A. Geary, the trustees of the late G. Cooper, Mr T. Vernon, Mr J.W.H. Freeman, Miss Scrivenor and the trustees of the late Mrs Bourne. The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and roots. The acreage is 1021; rateable value £1586; the population in 1891 was 163. Deputy parish clerk, Thomas Hextall. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 8.10 p.m. Letters through Hinckley arrive about 8 a.m. The nearest money order office is  at Stoke Golding & telegraph office Stoke Golding railway station.The children at this place attend school at Stoke Golding.
Berry Mrs. The Cottage
Geary John Abell
Berry Samuel Abell, farmer
Busby George, farmer
Foster Thomas, Dog and Hedgehog P.H.
Freeman John Walter Henry, farmer & landowner, Orchard fm.
Keightley Thomas, coal dealer
Ratcliff Jas. farmer & grazier, Manor ho.
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall
Upton Job, farmer

WRIGHT'S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE AND RUTLAND 
1895 - 96
Dadlington is a small village, township and parish, in the  Bosworth division of the county, hundred and rural deanery of Sparkenhoe No. 2, Market Bosworth Union and County Court district, and division of Bosworth for the County Council, on the east side of the Ashby canal, 4 miles S. from Market Bosworth, 3 N.W. from Hinckley, 5 N. from Nuneaton and 12 S.W. by W. from Leicester. St. James' church is a curious relic of antiquity, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, wooden porch, and turret in which are two bells. The north wall and some other portions have been  renovated, and during the year 1887, the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The registers date from 1734. The living is annexed to Stoke Golding, and is of the yearly value of £200, in the gift of the Bishop of
Peterborough. It is held by the Rev. H.J. Lomax, M.A. of Stoke Golding. Many of those killed at the famous battle of Bosworth Field, which is in the vicinity, were buried in this churchyard, and relics of the fight are occasionally dug up. There is a small Independent Chapel, services of which are discontinued. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners,  Mr. J.A. Geary, and Miss M. Scrivenor are the principal landowners. Area 997a. 3r.15p.; rateable value £1623.  9s.  0d.; population 163.ST. JAMES' CHURCH Services Sunday at 3. H.C. second Sunday in month. Rev Hugh Bryon, M.A. (Stoke Golding)  Warden, Mr J. Ratcliff; Harmonium, Misses Ratcliffe; Clerk, Thomas Hextall. Hymns A. &. M. Letters from Hinckley delivered about 8 a.m.; box cleared at 8p.m. on weekdays only.  Money Order Office at  Stoke Golding and Telegraph Office at station there.
Berry Miss Mary, The Cottager
Busby George, shopkeeper and tobacconist
Dawkins Jas. oil dealer and bee keeper
Foster Thomas, Dog and Hedgehog
Keightley Thomas, coal merchant
FARMERS AND GRAZIERS
Marked * are landowners
Busby George
Berry Samuel Abel, and overseer
Clewes Willoughby
Critchlow Ralph
*Freeman Jno. Wltr Hy, Orchard farm
* Geary John Abell, the Poplars
Peberdy William, The Glebe farm
Ratcliffe James, Manor house
Scrivener Edw. The Hall
Tomlinson John
Upton Arthur
CARRIERS
Middleton, to Hinckley M.
Wardle, (through Osbaston) to Hinckley M.
    
KELLY’S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1899
Dadlington’s a small village and parish ¾ mile north-east from Stoke Golding on the Midland and London and North Western joint railway, 4 south from Market Bosworth, 3 ¼ north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, in the western division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, market Bosworth union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe (second portion), arch deaconry of Leicesterand diocese of Peterborough.
 
The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the Midland Railway Co., passes through the parish. The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave, south porch and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells. The church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilla, and a portion of dog tooth moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1856-7, at a cost of £500, and in 1890 the church was thoroughly restored , and in 1897 the south porch was repaired, at a cost of £55: there are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1734. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the rectory of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value £225, with half an acre of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough and held since 1892 by the Rev. Hugh Bryan LL.B., M.A., of Clare College, Cambridge, who resides at Stoke Golding.
 
A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886 at a cost of over £100.
 
The principal landowners are C. F. Hurst esq., who is lord of the manor, Mr John A. Geary, the trustees of the late G. Cooper, Mr J. W. H. Freeman, Miss Scrivenor and the trustees of the late Mrs Bourne The soil is mostly heavy; subsoil gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats roots. The area is 1,020 acres of land and 8 of water, rateable value £1,547; the population in 1891 was 163.
 
Wall letter box cleared at 8.10 p.m. week-days only. Letters through Nuneaton arrive about 8 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Stoke Golding, and telegraph office at Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant.
 
The children of this place attend school at Stoke Golding.
 
COMMERCIAL.
Berry Samuel Abell, farmer.
Busby George, shopkeeper and grazier.
Critchlow Ralph, farmer.
Dawkins Jas. Coal mer. & bee keeper.
Freeman George, shopkeeper.
Freeman John Walter Henry, farmer & landowner Orchard Farm.
Geary John A., grazier & landowner.
Keigthley Thomas, coal dealer.
Matthews Mary Jane, (Mrs) farmer.
Peberdy William, farmer.
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall.
Smith Stephen, farmer.
Tanser George, Hy., farmer, Manor ho.
Wragg Walter, Dog & hedgehog Inn.
    
WRIGHT’S DIRECTORY OF LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND 1899
DADLINGTON, is a small village, township and parish, in the Bosworth division of the county, hundred and rural deanery of Sparkenhoe No. 2., Market Bosworth Union and County Court district, and division of Bosworth for the County Council, on the east side of the Ashby canal , 4 miles S. from Market Bosworth 3 N.W. from Hinckley,5 N. from Nuneaton,and 12 S.W. by S.from Leicester.
 
St James’ church is a curious relic of antiquity. The north wall and some other portions have been renovated nd in 1887 the chancel was restored by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The registers date from 1734. The living is annexed to Stoke Golding and is of the yearly value of £200, in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough
 
Many of those killed in the famous Battle of Bosworth Field , which is in the vicinity were buried in this churchyard, and relics of the fight are occasionally dug up.
 
The Ecclesiastical Commissioners , Mr J. A. Geary, and Miss M. Scriverer are the principal landowners. Area 997a. 3r. 15p. Rateable value £1,547; population 163.
 
St James Church. - Services Sunday at 3, H.C. second Sunday in month. Rev. Hugh Bryan M.A. Stoke Golding; Warden Stephen Smith. Hymns A. and M.
 
Letters from Nuneaton delivered about 8 a.m.; box cleared at 8 p.m., week-days only. Money Order Office at Stoke Golding, and Telegraph Office at the Station there.
 
DIRECTORY.
 
Beeby Charles, cottager.
Dawkins James, oil dealer and bee keeper.
Keightley Thomas, coal dealer.
Wragg Walter, v. Dog and hedgehog.
 
FARMERS AND GRAZIERS.
Marked * are landowners.
Berry Samuel Abel.
Busby Geo., and shopkeeper & tobacconist
Clewes Willoughby.
Critchlow Ralph.
*Freeman Jn. Wltr. Hy., Orchard fm.
*Geary John Abel, The Poplars.
Matthews Mrs Mary Jane.
Peberdy William, The Glebe farm.
Scriverer Edw., The Hall.
Smith Stephen, The Cottage.
Tanser Geoege, manor House.
 
CARRIERS.
Wardle (through from Osbaston) to Hinckley M.
KELLY'S LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND DIRECTORY 1900
Dadlington is a small village, and parish  1 mile north-east from Stoke Golding station on the Midland and London and North Western railway,  4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Western division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Market Bosworth union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Leicester, and diocese of Peterborough. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the Midland Railway Co. passes through the parish. The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1866-67 cost of £500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored, and in 1897 the south porch was repaired at a cost of £55, there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value £203, with half an acre of glebe in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since1892  by the Rev. George Maxwell Edmonds M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £200.C.F. Hurst esq.  is lord of the manor The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat,  oats and roots. The acreage is 1021 and 8 of water; rateable value £1764; the population in 1901 was 154.Sexton, John Kellham. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 8.10 p.m. Letters through  Nuneaton arrive about 7.50 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Stoke Golding & telegraph office Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant. The children at this place attend school at Stoke Golding.
COMMERCIAL.
Baldwin William, farmer, North farm
Beale Joseph, farmer
Busby George, shopkeeper & grazier
Busby Jas. Henry, Dog & Hedgehog inn
Dawkins James, bee keeper
Freeman John Walter Henry, farmer & landowner, Orchard fm.
Grimley Thomas, grazier The Poplars
Kelham John, sexton
Kendall Arthur, farmer
Peberdy William, farmer
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall
Smith Stephen, grazier, White House
Tocher James, farmer, Manor house
Trickett John, farmer
Winter Samuel, farmer

KELLY'S LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND DIRECTORY 1908
Dadlington is a small village, and parish  1 mile north-east from Stoke Golding station on the Midland and London and North Western railway,  4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Western division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Market Bosworth union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Leicester, and diocese of Peterborough. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the Midland Railway Co. passes through the parish. The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1866-67 at a cost of £500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored, and in 1897 the south porch was repaired at a cost of 55, there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value £220 with half an acre of glebe in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since1905  by the Rev. George Maxwell Edmonds M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £200.C.F. Hurst esq.  is lord of the manor The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat,  oats and roots. The acreage is 1021 and 8 of water; rateable value £1653 the population in 1901 was 154.Sexton, John Kellham.WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 8.10 p.m. Letters through  Nuneaton arrive about 7.50 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Stoke Golding & telegraph office Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant. The children at this place attend school at Stoke Golding.
COMMERCIAL.
Beale Joseph, farmer
Dawkins James, bee keeper
Freeman John Walter Henry, farmer & landowner, Orchard fm.
Grimley Thomas, farmer, Manor farm
Jones Robt. Lloyd, farmer, Manor farm
Kelham John, sexton
Kendall Arthur, farmer
Moreton Charles Hy., Dog & Hedgehog P.H.
Peberdy William, farmer
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall
Smith Stephen, grazier, White House
Trickett John, farmer
Whetton John, farmer
Winter Samuel, farmer
LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND DIRECTORY 1912
Dadlington is a small village, and parish 1 mile north-east from Stoke Golding station on the Midland and London and North Western railway,  4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Western division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Market Bosworth union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Leicester, and diocese of Peterborough. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the Midland Railway Co. passes through the parish.The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1866-67, at a cost of £500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored, and in 1897 the south porch was repaired at a cost of 55, there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value ×220 with half an acre of glebe in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since1905  by the Rev. George Maxwell Edmonds M.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge, who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £200.  C.F. Hurst esq.  is lord of the manor The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat,  oats and roots. The acreage is 1021 and 8 of water; rateable value £1653 the population in 1911 was 189. Sexton, John Kellham.WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 8.10 p.m. Letters through  Nuneaton arrive about 7.50 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Stoke Golding & telegraph office Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant.The children at this place attend school at Stoke Golding.
COMMERCIAL.
Busby Thomas, farmer
Clarke Arthur, farm bailiff to Thomas Chappell esq. Lodge farm
Dawkins James, oil dealer
Freeman Henry John Gadsby, farmer & landowner, Orchard
Grimley Thomas, farmer, Manor farm
Heath George, farmer
Kelham John, sexton
Kendall Arthur, farme
Meakin James, farmer, The Poplars
Moreton Charles Hy., Dog & Hedgehog P.H.
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall
Smith Stephen, grazier, White House
Winter Samuel, farmer
 
KELLY'S LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND DIRECTORY 1916
Dadlington is a small village, and parish  1 mile north-east from Stoke Golding station on the Midland and London and North Western railway,  4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Western division of the county, Sparkenhoe hundred, Market Bosworth union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Leicester, and diocese of Peterborough. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the Midland Railway Co. passes through the parish.The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1866-67, at a cost of £500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored, and in 1897 the south porch was repaired at a cost of 55, there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value £220 with half an acre of glebe in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since 1919  by the Rev. John Kinnersly Taylor M.A. of Pembroke College,  Oxford, who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £200. C.F. Hurst esq.  is lord of the manor The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat,  oats and roots. The acreage is 1021 and 8 of water; rateable value £1653 the population in 1911 was 189. WALL LETTER BOX Letters through  Nuneaton. The nearest money order office is at Stoke Golding & telegraph office Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant. The children at this place attend school at Stoke Golding.
COMMERCIAL.
Busby Thomas, farmer
Dawkins James, oil dealer
Freeman Henry John Gadsby,farmer & landowner, Orchard fm.
Grimley Thomas, farmer, Manor farm
Heath George, farmer
Kendall Arthur, farme
Meakin James, farmer, The Poplars
Moreton Charles Hy., Dog & Hedgehog P.H.
Roberton William P. farm bailiff to Thomas Chappell esq.
Lodge farm
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall
Smith Stephen, grazier, White House
Toone Bros. farmers, Harpers Hill farm
Winter Samuel, farmer
 
 
KELLY'S LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND DIRECTORY 1922
Dadlington is a small village, and parish  1 mile north-east from Stoke Golding station on the London Midland and Scottish railway,  4 south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Bosworth division of the county, hundred of Sparkenhoe,  union, and petty sessional division of Market Bosworth and county court district of Hinckley, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Loughborough, and diocese of Leicester. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the L. M. & S. Railway Co. passes through the parish. The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1866-67, at a cost of ×500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored, and in 1897 the south porch was repaired at a cost of £55, there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value £376 with half an acre of glebe in the gift of the Bishop of Peterborough, and held since 1919  by the Rev. John Kinnersly Taylor M.A. of Pembroke College,  Oxford,who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £200.The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat,  oats and roots. The acreage is 1020 of land and 8 of water; rateable value £1635; the population in 1921 was 212.Letters through  Nuneaton. The nearest money order office is at Stoke Golding & telegraph office Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant.
The children at this place attend school at Stoke Golding.
Beale Joseph, White house
COMMERCIAL.
Busby Thomas, farmer
Dawkins James, oil dealer
Freeman Henry John Gadsby,farmer & landowner, Orchard fm.
Heath George, farmer
Kendall Arthur, farmer
Kidger George, farmer
Lee Frederick, shopkeeper
Meakin James, farmer, The Poplars
Moreton Charles Hy., Dog & Hedgehog P.H.
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall
Shepperd Wm, farmer, The Lodge fm
Toone Bros. farmers, Harpers Hill farm
Winter Samuel, farmer
 
KELLY'S LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND DIRECTORY 1928
Dadlington is a small village, and parish  1 mile north-east from Stoke Golding station on the London Midland and Scottish railway,  4 south from Market Bosworth, 3 north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Bosworth division of the county, hundred of Sparkenhoe,  union, and petty sessional division of Market Bosworth and county court district of Hinckley, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Loughborough, and diocese of Leicester. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the L. M. & S. Railway Co. passes through the parish. The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1866-67, at a cost of £500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored, and in 1897 the south porch was repaired at a cost of £55, there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value £300 in the gift of the Bishop of Leicester, and held since 1925  by the Rev. Hilary Waterworth M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge, who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £200.The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat,  oats and roots. The acreage is 1020 of land and 8 of water; the population in 1921 was 212.Letters through  Nuneaton. The nearest M.O. office is at Stoke Golding & T. office Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant.
Beale Joseph, White house
COMMERCIAL.
Busby Thomas, farmer
Freeman Henry John Gadsby, farmer & landowner, Orchard fm.
Heath George, farmer
Kendall Arthur, farmer
Kidger George, farmer
Lee Frederick, shopkeeper
Meakin Jas, farmer, The Poplars TN Stoke Golding 10
Moreton Charles Hy., Dog & Hedgehog P.H.
Scrivenor Edward, farmer & grazier, The Hall
Shepperd Wm, farmer, The Lodge fm
Smith Geo. farmer, Harpers Hill farm
Winter Samuel, farmer
KELLY'S LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND DIRECTORY 1836
Dadlington is a small village,4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley,and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Bosworth division of the county, hundred of Sparkenhoe,  union, and petty sessional division of Market Bosworth and county court district of Hinckley, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Loughborough, and diocese of Leicester. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the L. M. and S. Railway Co. passes through the parish. The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1866-67, at a cost of £500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored, and in 1897 the south porch was repaired at a cost of 55, there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value £350 in the gift of the Bishop of Leicester, and held since 1930  by the Rev. Stephen Douglas Middleton M.A. of St John's College, Manitoba, who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886, at a cost of over £200.The land is owned mainly by the farmers. The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat,  oats and roots .By the County of Leicester Review Order 1935, this parish was transferred to the parish of Sutton Cheney for civil purposes .Letters through  Nuneaton. The nearest M.O. office is at Stoke Golding & T. office Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant.
COMMERCIAL.
Beebe Sarah Ann (Mrs), shopkpr.
Busby Thomas, farmer
Chaplin Fredkû
. Wm. farmer, Hall farm
Drackley Jsph. farmer Atherstone House farm
Gosling Noel Fras. farmer, Manor farm
Kendall Arthur, farmer
King Harold, farmer, The Poplars
Medhurst David Edwd. farmer, Orchard farm
Moreton Charles Hy., Dog & Hedgehog P.H.
Shepherd Frank Harold, farmer, The Lodge fm
Smith Geo. farmer.
Wardle Clifford, farmer, Harper's Hill farmer
 
KELLY'S LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND DIRECTORY 1941
Dadlington is a small village,4 miles south from Market Bosworth, 3É north-west from Hinckley, and 5 north from Nuneaton, and in the Bosworth division of the county, hundred of Sparkenhoe,  union, and petty sessional division of Market Bosworth and county court district of Hinckley, rural deanery of Sparkenhoe, (second portion), archdeaconry of Loughborough, and diocese of Leicester. The Ashby-de-la-Zouch canal, now belonging to the L. M. and S. Railway Co. passes through the parish. The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Early English and Early Decorated styles, consisting of chancel with chapel, nave and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: the church has been so mutilated that little of the original fabric now remains: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and a portion of dog toothed moulding has been worked in over the east window: the chancel was restored in 1866-67, at a cost of £500,  and in 1890 the whole church was thoroughly restored, and in 1897 the south porch was repaired at a cost of £55, there are 100 sittings. The register dates from 1734. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Stoke Golding, joint net yearly value £350 in the gift of the Bishop of Leicester, and held since 1930  by the Rev. Stephen Douglas Middleton M.A. of St John's College, Manitoba, who resides at Stoke Golding. A parish room, which is also used for Sunday school purposes was erected in 1886. Electricity is available. Water is supplied by the Hinckley and District Urban District Council.  The land is owned mainly by the farmers. The soil is mostly heavy, subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat,  oats and roots .By the County of Leicester Review Order 1935, this parish was transferred to the parish of Sutton Cheney for civil purposes. Letters through  Nuneaton, Warks. The nearest M.O. office is at Stoke Golding & T. office Stoke Golding railway station, 1 mile distant.
COMMERCIAL.
Busby Thomas, farmer, Ivy ho.
Chaplin Fredk. Wm. farmer, Hall farm
Dog & Hedgehog P.H. (Chas. Hy. Moreton)
Drackley Wm. Alex, farmer Atherstone House farm
Gosling Noel Fras. farmer, Manor farm
Kendall Arthur, farmer
King Harold, farmer, The Poplars
Land - , farmer, Orchard farm
Shepherd Fredk., farmer, White ho.
Shepherd Wm. Jas. farmer, The Lodge farm
Wardle Clifford, farmer, Harper's Hill farmer
site search by freefind advanced