Church & Chapel

Places of religious worship in Dadlington

The church of St James
There has been a church on the high ground, north west of The Green, since the thirteenth century. Although there is little of the original remaining, the building having been restored on a number of occasions,the layout has probably not changed much at all.
 
There is a small bell turret at the western end, reconstructed in 1890, that replaced an oak shingle belfry or dove-cote, thought to be unique in Leicestershire at the time. There are two bells, but records show the church paying rent to the vicar of Hinckley in 1209 for having a bell three times a week.

The church is entered through a small porch. There used to be another entrance opposite this on the north wall, but this was filled in, in 1782. Inside, the church has a fairly simple design, with a central area containing the chancel and nave, and a south chapel on the right hand side. The arches between the two are thirteenth century. There is no medieval glass remaining in the building and the old wooden roof has also been replaced.
 
The churchyard is entered through a gate which was the village's monument to the five local men who died during World War I. To the east of the churchyard, stood the parsonage house, now long gone, and the land where the village hall now stands was chantry land, belonging to the church and granted to it to provide an income so that prayers could be said for the dead of the Battle of Bosworth.

The Leicester Chronicle, in 1886, reported that, "Skeletons and broken fragments of rusty armour still frequently obstruct the peasant's plough, and the old churchyard has known many ghastly re-interments of the poor soldiers remains."    

There is a small permanent exhibition on the links with the battle on display in the church, which is open most days.

Dadlington Church in 1791, engraved by John Pridden

Dadlington Meeting House
Non-conformists - those who wanted to follow their Christian beliefs outside of the established Church of England - established an independent chapel in the village in 1801-2. It changed from an Independent to a Congregationalist place of worship, though never actually becaming a church in its own right, and in 1894 it is recorded as having a congreagation of about twenty. The building is still in existence, being used today as a barn in the grounds of Hall Farm.

There is a very detailed description of the both the church and meeting house by Tim Parry which can be downloaded as a PDF file here.

Religious Buildings in Dadlington
site search by freefind advanced