20th & 21st Centuries

From poor agricultural village to des res 

Parish Room to Village Hall
Built towards the end of the 19th century, the Parish Room was a small red brick building, built on glebe land that belonged to the church. It can be seen in a number of old photographs of The Green and the church. In 1983, it was enlarged and remodelled as the current village hall. Click here for more information. There was a village pump between the hall and the road.
 
World Wars
Five men are listed on the war memorial plaque inside St James' church as having given their lives during the first world war, although many other men from the village would have served. The lamp over the lych gate was installed as a memorial to them and to John Freeman who died in the second world war. 
 
George Dewis
George lived on Hinckley Road, Dadlington. He had a 53 year association with Leicester City Football Club, first as a player in the 1930s and 40s.  He helped nurture the talents of goalkeeper Peter Shilton before taking a final job as kitman. Read about his story here .
 
Changes to the landscape
Towards the end of the 20th century, the lanscape of Dadlington began to change. The quarry in the centre of the village was filled in from 1958 and levelled off and reseeded in 1961 to create The Green that one can see now. Many smaller houses were demolished with new housing built and several central farms were converted. The railway bridge at the Shenton Lane Fenn Lanes crossroads was demolished.
 
BBC Domesday Project - 1986
To mark the anniversary of the Domesday Book, people carried out local surveys and the following information was compiled for Dadlington. Of the 91 houses in the village, only 12 dated from before World War I, with 32 having been constructed after 1945. The occupation of village residents differed greatly from those of previous generations with 
Shop assistant, Dental Receptionist, Farmworker, Printer, Computer operator, Driving instructor, Waitress, Hair dresser, Cleaner, Doctor and British waterways worker all being listed. Most people commuted out of the village to work.
 
The Reinterment of Richard III - 2015
Following the discovery of the intact skeleton of Richard III under a Leicester car park, plans were put in place to reinter him at the cathedral. As part of this ceremony, Richard's funeral cortege travelled from Fenn Lane Farm, the most likely site of his death, through Dadlington and Sutton Cheyney on its route to Leicester. A short service was held on The Green as the procession, led by two armoured men on horseback, paused for hundreds of onlookers to pay their respects.
site search by freefind advanced